tips for writing img to usb thumb drive

jungle Boogie jungleboogie0 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 17:55:57 PST 2016

Hi Justin,
On 1 January 2016 at 10:35, Justin Sherrill <justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:
> How did you get the OpenBSD snapshot installed - was it also from a USB stick?

I dd'd in a very similiar fashion that I'm trying now to the same
exact USB stick. Do you think there are any issues with the dd
commands I'm using?

> This may already have been solved, but I remember people reporting
> trouble on one set of USB ports and finding using different ports on
> the machine worked better.  It might be because of they run to
> separate chipsets, or one group is USB3 and one is not, I don't know -
> but it's an easy potential fix to try.

Well I'm almost certain I've tried all the USB ports on the Asus and
none of them report the USB stick in the BIOS.

> An alternate method: I had a machine with no decent USB ports and an
> unrecognizable CDROM (an old Sony laptop) that would not install.  I
> booted a DragonFly CD on a separate machine (no install, just booted
> the CD) and ran the network boot service, and then set the laptop to
> boot from the network, and wired both machines together.  That worked
> surprisingly well.  The only catch is if your Asus laptop supports
> pxebooting, and that you have a spare machine to run a liveCD.

Hmmm, pxe booting may be worth trying. Do you have a link I can read
on how DragonFly will boot over pxe? I did this with openBSD and tftpd
before.

--
-------
inum: 883510009027723