Printing with dfly 4.4.1

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Sun Feb 7 11:33:33 PST 2016

On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 07:26:03PM +0100, Marc Ferrand wrote:
> I'm still unable to print with dfly 4.4.1
[...]
> 5.So what is the correct way to make things work properly and be able to
> print with a common user and to print from X ?

I ihave never used an usb printer with cups so I don't really have any exact idea
of all the steps you should follow.

Some things are however true in all cases:

1. You MUST remove /usr/sbin/lpr and other lp* programs
These files are not part of Cups and only confuse things.
They should probably have been removed years ago but some people apparently
still use them with old Postscript printers

Put the line:
	NO_LPR= true
in /etc/make.conf

and rm /usr/sbin/lp*

The real Cups binaries are in /usr/local

2. Change the permissions on /dev/ulpt0 so that this file can be read an
written by cupsd

It's probably the reason why cups doesn't stay running on system startup

It is possible to edit /etc/devfs.conf to automatically create /dev/ulpt0 with
the right Unix permissions. This file could be better documented but there's a
small example in /etc/defaults/devfs.conf and some documentation in devfsctl(8).

That's it. Apart from these points, I don't have any more idea of what could
be going wrong on your system. I hope someone else would be able to fill in
the blanks.

--
Francois Tigeot