Parallel compression not using all available CPU

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Dec 10 13:29:24 PST 2016

:Hi,
:
:On both systems HAMMER was used. One small correction concerning the 2c/2t machine, both compression programs did effectively utilize that CPU which had an idle % of 0.0. It is the bigger machine, 16c/32t where the CPU isn't effectively maxed out. I'll continue to try and investigate why and report back if I find anything.

    Generally speaking I wouldn't want these utilities to use all available
    cpu threads by default.  It's not usually a good idea for a program to
    just assume that all the cpus are there for it (by default).  But they
    should have command line options that allow the number of threads to
    be specified.

					<dillon at backplane.com>