Zero-filled blocks in HAMMER

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Mon Aug 29 11:39:30 PDT 2016

For any copy-on-write filesystem there is no point pre-zeroing a file to
'allocate' its blocks, because any overwrite will reallocate the block.
Thus, the expectation is that most copy-on-write filesystems will detect
blocks which contain all-zeros and not bother to actually allocate disk
space for such blocks, instead just leaving a 'hole' in the file (which
reads as zeros when the file is read).  (If writing all zeros into a block
which was previously non-zero, Hammer simply removes the block from the
B+Tree to create a hole).

In the original UFS, writing zeros would actually write blocks full of
zeros into the file, but this was desireable because UFS is not a
copy-on-write filesystem.  So the concept of preallocating space works.
UFS also always supported file holes via lseek()/write() to skip the 'hole'
you want to leave, as do numerous earlier filesystems.  So 'Sparse Files'
is actually a very old concept.

-Matt