smarthost authentication: AUTH cram-md5

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 16:29:59 PDT 2016

Hi DF users,

Today at work I upgraded 5 FreeBSD fileserver from 10.2 to 10.3.  During
the upgrade I found out that a HDD was failing S.M.A.R.T. tests for the
past 3 days. No big deal. What actually got my attention was the fact
that I didn't see that in daily notification which I am receiving from
this hosts. Sure enough there was a record in log files as well but I am
still looking for effective way to do analytics on my centralized loggin
server.

Long story short I wanted to see why I have not seeing the error. Well I
found bunch of

smarthost authentication: AUTH cram-md5

errors in the /var/log/maillog which brings us to DragonFly BSD. Namely
I have switched off Sendmail on all my FreeBSD hosts and turned on DMA.
I am using a Gmail account as SMTP server. It look like S.M.A.R.T.
daemon was looking at

/etc/mail/freebsd.mc

which is tailored for Sendmail. Since DF has made a switch from Sendmail
to DF as a default MTA around the time of 4.2 release I was wondering if
I kind soul could help me fixing the

smarthost authentication: AUTH cram-md5

error.

Thank you,