Auto-mounting USB storage disks under DragonflyBSD

Thomas Nikolajsen thomas.nikolajsen at mail.dk
Sun Sep 20 13:38:45 PDT 2015

>If one wishes to have user mounted USB devices (external hard disks mainly), is it possible to do this by setting >vfs.usermount=1 in /etc/sysctl.conf? I actually tried, but nothing happened.

Yes, setting 'sysctl vfs.usermount=1' allows non-root user to mount a file system
(otherwise only root is allowed to do that).

This will not do any auto mounting, just give user possibility to mount file system
(if permissions on mount point & special file allows).

There is no auto unmounting either;
IMO it is better to learn user to do these two steps, than try to automate.

 -thomas
-
$ sysctl -d vfs.usermount
vfs.usermount: Allow non-root users to mount filesystems