IPv6 DNS config daemon

Charles Musser cmusser at sonic.net
Fri Oct 23 00:01:50 PDT 2015

> On Oct 22, 2015, at 8:05 PM, Justin Sherrill <justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:
>
> The question is: will you continue to maintain it, even if that's just
> making sure it performs as advertised, for the foreseeable future?
> Otherwise, it will bit-rot.
Yes, I'm willing to do so. I've been interested in this topic for a while.

> The one repeated reference to SLAAC that I've seen is that it's needed
> to get Android clients on a IPv6 network; they won't talk DHCPv6.
> Haven't tried it (yet) so I can't describe it better.
I think I read about that recently too.

I have an Nexus tablet here and an IPv6-only network with a DragonFly
router running the recent rtadvd (the one that sends the DNS config).
The Nexus got an address and was able to resolve names. That
doesn't say anything about its support about DHCPv6 (which isn't running on
this network), but it does indicate that has a fairly comprehensive
SLAAC implementation. It self-assigns an address on the v6 network,
sets a working route and configures its resolver, all based on the
information in the router advertisements.

Chuck