getting cpu info w/o parsing /var/run/dmesg.boot

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Fri Oct 9 06:47:27 PDT 2015

On 10/9/2015 3:41 PM, Hleb Valoshka wrote:
> On 10/9/15, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:
>
>>> You are re-inventing the wheel:
>>>
>>> http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/rubygem-ohai/
>>>
>>> You're efforts would be better served to fix whatever prevents that port
>>> from building (on top of providing patches for it).
>>>
>>> These types of ports are generally very low level, using C to check
>>> kernel structures.  They are extremely system specific.  It's not even
>>> the only ruby package that does this either.
>>>

>> By the way, sysutils/rubygem-ohai is already in dports.  Who knows if it
>> works or not.
>
>>From my initial letter: «I'm porting ohai
> (https://github.com/chef/ohai/pull/626/files#r41601905)».
>
> Currently ohai does not support dfly fully so I'm adding missing functions.

I know.
This means you should provide support to that port.  "porting ohai"
implies you are starting again rather than improving what's already
there.  Maybe it's a communication issue, but I never got the idea that
you knew about this port and were trying to provide patches to it.

Plus I would assume however the information is gotten for FreeBSD,
there's a similar way on DragonFly so it's a matter of looking at the
ohai code and/or freebsd patches to it.

John