Digital Libraries in Africa making use of DragonflyBSD and HAMMER

PeerCorps Trust Fund ipc at peercorpstrust.org
Wed Oct 7 23:12:30 PDT 2015

Hi All,

I just wanted to take an opportunity to formally introduce a new project making use of *BSD in an international development context. The Tanzanian Digital Library Initiative makes use of DragonflyBSD and FreeBSD in building digital libraries for use in resource-limited settings. Both OSes are used for networking, data storage/management and workstation applications.

The reason we make use of *BSD are myriad. Perhaps the number one reason is the availability and quality of the documentation, robust filesystems (ZFS and HAMMER), the ports collection and the outstanding reliability.

Both communities have been tremendously supportive and helpful since day one, and we are extremely grateful to each and every one of you that have offered suggestions, comments and feedback on approaching various technical issues.

We have a website that is a work in progress www.tandli.com and welcome input and suggestions on various aspects of the project.

--
Michael L. Wilson
International Project Coordinator