IPv6 DNS config daemon

Chuck Musser cmusser at sonic.net
Thu Nov 19 08:49:53 PST 2015

>> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Charles Musser <cmusser at sonic.net> wrote:
>>> While experimenting with IPv6 SLAAC, I wrote a daemon that configures
>>> a host's DNS resolver using the scheme described in RFC 6106.
>>> FreeBSD's rtsold(1) and "radns" (in the ports collection) are two
>>> programs that already do this. However, this one might be nice to have
>>> in the base system. Features:
>>>
>>> - Small, simple design: around 750 LoC in a single source file.
>>>
>>> - Developed on DragonFly, so no portability overhead. Tested on
>>>  FreeBSD too, so probably works on other BSDs.
>>>
>>> - No configuration, other than command line flags for foreground
>>>  mode and debug output.
>>>
>>> - Data validation: Performs basic sanity checks on router
>>>  advertisement options; Checks validity of server addresses and search
>>>  domains; enforces system-defined size limits for lists of these
>>>  items.
>>>
>>> - Ran under Valgrind' memcheck (on FreeBSD) with no leaks found.
>>>
>>> - Not entangled with rtsold(1) which need not be running and might
>>>  not exist if the kernel took over soliciting router advertisements (as
>>>  is now done in OpenBSD).
>>>
>>> SLAAC is a somewhat dusty corner of IPv6 configuration, so maybe the
>>> existing programs are good enough. This limited use-case is both an
>>> argument for and against including a new implementation. Depending
>>> on your tolerance/enthusiasm level, it's either "why not?" or "why
>>> bother?"
>>>
>>> Is this something the project would want?
>
> After brief discussion, we think it should be in dports.
>
> Thanks,
> sephe
I do have a port for it. But remember that there is a similar (and similarly named)
project in dports already: radns. Having both is redundant and might be confusing.
If it's something more appropriate for the ports collection, perhaps having just one
program performing this function is better.

Chuck