Torturing NFS

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 19:45:09 PDT 2015

About 2-3 weeks ago I got assignment to do some serious torturing with
the goal of NFS performance debugging and optimization. My original
intent was just to use dd and measure read and writes over NFS while
changing the block sizes as well as playing with fire async/sync option.
However as I am learning little bit about the topic I realized that
there is a slue of performance testing tools

http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Testing_tools#DBench

that I was completely ignorant about. Apparently one of those tools
originating at SGI

fsstress

was preserved from oblivion by DragonFly community. Thus I got idea to
solicit advise from this community regarding my original task.

Any comments, pointers, paper references would be appreciated.

Most Kind Regards,
Predrag Punosevac