SSD questions

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Mar 28 14:52:12 PDT 2015

:
:>    a: 1GB boot
:>    b: 32GB swap
:>    d: * hammer		(root and everything else on one hammer filesystem)
:
:fur such a config there is no need to reserve 10% unused.
:just add TRIMming b partition at every boot. swap would rarely be full.

   Yes, very true.  swap can be TRIMmed on every boot and in most
   situations this will leave enough unallocated space.

   In my example I totally forgot to include an 'unused' partition to
   hold the reserved area, too, but just having a larger swap partition
   and TRIMming it on boot probably works even better.

   The -e option to swapon will trim swap.  Hmm.... our rc scripts don't
   provide a way to override that to add the -e.

					<dillon at backplane.com>