SSD questions

Tim Darby t+dfbsd at timdarby.net
Tue Mar 24 13:25:49 PDT 2015

I just got a 1TB 850 EVO and I want to replace my old Intel 40GB SSD boot
drive. I was thinking I'd just swap the drives and use the DF Installer to
set it up. It's been more than a few years since I've used the installer,
so questions:

- Does it support setting up TRIM on an SSD drive?
- Is there anything I have to do post-install for the SSD?

​The current SSD is partitioned as follows:

a: 700MB boot
b: 32GB encrypted swapcache
d: 2GB root

I've configured initrd to transfer to the real encrypted root on a disk
drive. For the new setup, I'd like that encrypted root to be on the SSD. At
the time I built this machine, it was recommended that some unpartitioned
space be left on the SSD to allow for a pool of replacement blocks. Is this
still necessary with modern SSDs?

Any tips on setting this up would be greatly appreciated.

Tim