Graphics Support

Alex Merritt merritt.alex at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 23:10:37 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Matthew Dillon <dillon at backplane.com>
wrote:

> You can run 'xrandr' (I think it will work with the VESA driver) to see
> what your resolution options are.  The VESA driver is limited to what the
> BIOS says it can do, and BIOSes are often broken in that regard.

xrandr shows 640x480 anx 1024x768 as the maximum.

> In terms of the graphics outputs... what you need to do is carefully read
> the specs for your motherboard.  Not all motherboards use the on-die GPU,
> many also have a discrete radeon or nvidia chipsets.  If the motherboard
> says it can do either you may be able to control which one is used with a
> BIOS Setup option.  But it depends on the mobo.

Ah, yes I forgot to check the BIOS for this. In the BIOS there is an option
to twiddle the integrated vs NVIDIA card ("hybrid mode"). Now the i915
module states the following:

agp0: <Haswell mobile GT2 IG> on vgapci1
agp0: aperture size is 256M, detected 524284k stolen memory
info: [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
link_elf_obj_obj: symbol AcpiGetHandle undefined
agp0: detached
linker_load_file: Unsupported file type

This I am only able to see when starting in "safe mode". Booting as normal,
the screen becomes black and I am unable to switch among the virtual
terminals. SSH also hangs or shows severe delays (maybe unrelated?).

I booted into the more verbose option in DF, and see the following when the
module loads:

http://pastebin.com/zdk7Kquh

info: [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 1 (10.10.2010).
info: [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
drm1: taking over the fictitious range 0xa0000000-0xb0000000
info: [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20080730
info: [drm] Enabling RC6 states: RC6 off, RC6p off, RC6pp off

-Alex