Graphics Support

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Thu Jul 9 22:28:39 PDT 2015

It really is best to use X, it should be well supported on Haswell cpus.
You get all sorts of goodies like nice acceleration, hardware video
decoding, etc.

We do have some primitive kms console frame buffer support but it's really
just designed for simple console stuff and not designed to be a work
environment.  Example use case would be to put this in your
/boot/loader.conf:

kern.kms_console=1
drm.video.dvid1="1680x1050"

And then 'kldload i915kms' manually after booting to test it out and if it
works you can put the kldload i915kms into your /etc/rc.local.  Video
resolution will default to the highest-supported monitor resolution.  The
output id in the resolution hint depends on the system setup (I'm not sure
how to list available outputs).

The vga stuff is fast becoming obsolete.

And, really, this console stuff isn't designed for work environments
either.  You want to use X with the intel driver. The GPU support
significantly improves performance over VESA or anything else.

-Matt