Questions about current stable version of dragonflybsd regarding drivers and desktop environment

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Fri Jul 3 10:25:09 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 08:26:46AM +0200, John Marino wrote:
> On 7/3/2015 8:17 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
> > Hello.
> > Please also advise whether GNOME 2 is available for the current stable version
> > of dragonflybsd.
> >

> I can answer this question.
> There is no GNOME 2 in ports.  FreeBSD doesn't have it either.
>
> There is mate and cinnamon which is a continuation of GNOME 2.  They
> build but I'm not sure how well they work.  I would suspect they have
> issues.  However, nobody seems to uses these so the issues aren't
> getting reported or fixed.

I have been using (and am still using Mate) for a few years now. As far as I can
see, the desktop environment works almost perfectly.

The only issue I'm aware of is with mate-terminal: for some reason it decides
to not respect the locale set in the environment and use some sort of US-ASCII
encoding. People have been reporting the same sort of problem with Linux-based
operating systems though so this is not DragonFly-specific.

--
Francois Tigeot