dfbsd git setup

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Thu Jan 29 12:38:49 PST 2015

I should add that when developers create their own branches in their own
local repos, they usually also keep those branches up-to-date with the main
repo (when convenient) by periodically merging master into them.
Developers resolve conflicts in their local repos before pushing anything
back to the master repo.

Right now, for example, I have a 'wlan' branch in my local repo at
git://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~dillon/dragonfly.git for our wlan update which
we are resyncing with FreeBSD, at another developer is tracking that to
help port the rest of the drivers.  It isn't ready to go into the master
repo yet because various drivers are in a broken state.

And ftigeot, who is doing most of the gpu drm work uses local branches
quite often when synchronizing against linux because doing so often causes
a certain amount of instability which needs testing and fixing before we
would want to throw it to the general user base.

And similarly for other work.  I think all told developers have a few dozen
local branches going, sometimes for active projects, sometimes simply to
save work that they have set aside.  Plus they don't have to use the
official developer machine for their local repos.  Most developers also run
local repos on their own boxes and will push/pull with their public repo on
their developer account, or github, or other places.

-Matt