DF enterprise deployments

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 07:12:13 PST 2015

"Sascha Wildner" <saw at online.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 07:01:16 +0100, Predrag Punosevac
> <punosevac72 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there anybody who is looking at the sensoring framework on DF at the
> > moment? In particular I am interested in something along the lines of
> > OpenBSD stellar native sensorsd daemon. FreeBSD which shares the same
> > heritage has some semi-finished native sensoring framework but IPMI
> > seems to work rather well (at least for such a buggy peace of software)
> > comparing to my less than optimal experience on DF.
>
> I recently brought in FreeBSD's IPMI driver. What exactly is your less
> than optimal experience?
>
> Sascha

Hi Sascha,

I saw your work. Last time I played with IPMI on DF was around times of
3.8. so it doesn't involve your IPMI porting effort.  I installed
ipmitool using dports and tried pooling sensoring information from the
local host but it looked like driver was not loaded at all. The original
plan was also to pool IMPI using collectd plugin. At that time I didn't
know that you guys imported already sensorsd from OpenBSD (I learned
about that from my fellow OpenBSD users) so I didn't play with it.
sensorsd in retrospect would have been more interesting to me personally.

I work for a data mining lab and we wanted to use DF as data storage OS.
If you are interested in my experience I would be happy to write a small
summary from my system admin point of view.

Thank you so much for all you do for DF and BSDs in general.

Predrag