trying to upgrade packages, I get a segfault

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Mon Dec 7 21:13:35 PST 2015

This is a guess because I don't know the cause, but: save a list of
the packages you have installed.

pkg info  > installed_pkgs.txt

(this is in case any of my other advice screws things up)

Try pkg upgrade -f, to force it.

If that doesn't work, try pkg delete -f jpeg-turbo-1.4.2 jpeg-8_6.
This will warn that you are messing up every package that depends on
the jpeg lib.  Then try pkg upgrade.  It will hopefully install the
one that is needed.

If that doesn't work, I guess you could delete all packages and
rebuild pkg.  (make sure to pull down an updated dports through git
_before_ deleting packages)  You would then use that saved
installed_pkgs.txt list to track what to re-add.

That's a last-ditch thing, though.  I have not tried any of these
things so be careful.