Installer changes on master (does not effect release)

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Tue Dec 15 11:22:56 PST 2015

The installer is meant to be simple.  Trying to edit slice or partition
tables setup by other operating systems opens a big can of worms.  We don't
really have the developer time available to do something as complex as what
linux has.  So generally speaking users are on their own when it comes
multi-OS installs.  For single-OS installs, DragonFly's installer works
well.  At best we will be able to bang UEFI booting into shape at some
point, but that's the only new boot-loader work really contemplated.

The DOS slice table vs gpt isn't a big deal, but we'd need updated gpt
tools from FreeBSD and developer time to make it an installer option.  It
should be noted that the DOS slice table is just a degenerate form... for
example, if the drive is larger than 2TB fdisk can't configure a slice to
be larger, but the kernel recognizes that a slice ending in 0xffffffff
should literally mean 'the whole rest of the disk' regardless of other
considerations.  So it is simple and it just works.  Complex
slice/partition setups are usually a lose.

We put a disklabel64 on top of whatever low-level scheme is used and that
will not change.  The disklabel mechanic gives us significantly better
control over the disk layout than a slice or gpt mechanic.  We will
generally always want to have a disklabel.

-Matt