Intel ValleyView kms console lock up

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Mon Aug 10 10:20:20 PDT 2015

I have seen similar issues on my Acer C720 (haswell based).  Could you run
a test for me?

* comment out your kern.kms_console=0 line so the KMS console is enabled.

* Instead of rebooting or halting from X, as root do a 'killall xdm' to
kill X.
  This should return you to a KMS console.

* Then try rebooting / shutting down from the KMS console.

What I have noticed on my Acer is two things:  First, sometimes when I
start X up I get corruption and have to restart X to get rid of it.  But if
I kldload i915kms first and give the kms console time to initialize, and
THEN start X up, I never get corruption.   And Second, when I try to
shutdown/reboot from X the laptop often locks up.  But if I killall xdm (as
root) to kill X and return to the KMS console, and then shutdown/reboot
from the KMS console, it always works reliably.

-Matt