questions regarding CARP

Christoph Harder shadowomf at arcor.de
Mon Oct 27 10:46:35 PDT 2014

Hello,

I do have a (newbie) question regarding CARP. I did read the manual or at least most of it, but I'm still not sure.
When I colocate servers in a data center and all servers are connected to the same switch, would CARP (for fail over and load balancing) work or is additional support from the data center needed?

I know this would move the single point of failue to the switch, but since the data center is probably ten times as fast in replacing their hardware than I would be able to replace/repair a defect server it would still be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Christoph