Can programs compiled in FreeBSD be executed in DragonFly BSD ?

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 22:57:35 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 1:36 PM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:

> On 11/11/2014 16:08, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> > Dears All ,
> >

> > Is it possible to execute a program compiled in FreeBSD with Pascal be
> > executed in DragonFly BSD KDE or Gnome  desktop ?
> >
> > There is NO Free Pascal and Lazarus in DragonFly BSD .
> >
> > Thank you very much .
> >
> > Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
>

> After a couple of long days, I've successfully bootstrapped FPC on
> DragonFly.  About 80 FPC packages build now, although Lazarus isn't one
> of them.
>
> This compiler is considered experimental.  It's a good sign that it can
> compile itself and so many packages.  However, I had to disable its
> directory caching (it's some issue I haven't found yet) and I think the
> unit searching doesn't work the same without out.  Some of the remaining
> packages like www/fpc-fastcgi need the fpmkunit unit which is present
> but can't be found with the default fpc.cfg (meaning the "*" wildcard
> may not be working).
>
> Hopefully I'll be able to push the patches upstream before version 2.7.x
> is released, and hopefully the directory caching will be fixed.  Until
> then, please update dports and build them from source (it's very fast!)
> and give us feedback how FPC is performing.
>
> John

As a principle , assume that I can help you as much as possible to make
Free Pascal and Lazarus a
working port in DragonFly BSD .
For this I need your help because I do not know DragonFly BSD sufficiently
well .
Due to this I need explicit instructions about what to do .
Assume I have sufficient time to apply steps .

Another point is if we can document what we did to generate these ports ,
such a document would be used as a guide for other ports .

Testing is important . Let's include all testing steps applicable to verify
usability of
Free Pascal and Lazarus .

Assume I have installed 4.0 RC3 and it is booted and the computer is
shutdown and rebooted to
start working on Free Pascal port .

There is the following page , but it is not clear for me
because of assumptions about pkgsrc which is not applicable for 4.0 RC3 :

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToDPorts/

Let also assume that DragonFlyBSD repository is cloned here and updates
will be applied quickly .

Would you please

 make a list of steps
 what I should note

which

I can apply ,
Take notes and
reply to you at the end .

I do not know kyua ,

http://pkg.wolfpond.org/dragonfly:4.0:x86:64/LATEST/All/kyua-0.11,2.txz

but can we apply it for testing steps of this port . In that way , we can
also enlarge testing facility for DragonFly BSD .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk