Installation of DragonFly 4.0.0 RC

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Wed Nov 5 13:51:45 PST 2014

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 14:44:34 +0100, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
<m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:

> During writing .img to USB stick , it took very long time without
> reaching
> to completion .
> With a hope , I recorded it to a DVD , fortunately , it took very short
> time for recording and it worked for installation .

Mehmet,

I've put the .ISO here:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~swildner/dfly_with_mos.iso.xz

Note that you'll need a DVD blank disk because it is rather large.

> em0
> fwe0
> lp0
> faith0       ( If it is possible , please display explanatory names for
> these short forms , for example ,
> lo0             < em0 >    : Intel Gigabit .... etc.  )
> ppp0
> sl0
> Cancel

That's weird. em0 is an Intel PCI network interface and the rest is not
related to the USB adapter either. They are special interfaces for
Firewire (fwe0), PPP, loopback adapter (lo0) and whatnot, some of them
older stuff. I think we should blacklist them in the installer to not
confuse people. If needed, they can be configured outside the installer.

The name of the USB NIC we're looking for should be "ue0" but the
installer doesn't list it.

So let's leave the installer aside for a moment and try a simpler test:

* Boot from the ISO and login as "root" (no password needed)

* Plug in the USB NIC.

* Check with "kldstat". Is if_mos.ko listed? If it is not listed, do
"kldload if_mos".

* Type "ifconfig ue0". Does it say "ifconfig: interface ue0 does not
exist" or does it list information about the ue0 interface?

* If it said "interface ue0 does not exist", please do "usbconfig
dump_device_desc". It will list information about each connected USB
device. Try to find the "ugenX.Y: ..." line for the USB NIC in the output
and tell me what values idVendor and idProduct have in the section below
its "ugenX.Y: ..." line.

Thanks for testing so far.

Sascha