other tests with dragonfly

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Sun May 4 00:41:45 PDT 2014

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Wojciech Puchar
<wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
>> For what it's worth, Sepherosa Ziehau has been putting a lot of work into
>> reducing CPU use on high-bandwidth connections:
>> http://lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2014-March/128240.html
>>
> if i understand correctly it would reduce CPU usage greatly on highly loaded
> server doing lots of TCP transfers.

There is another commit to reduce port token contention.  Recent TCP
connect(2)+kqueue(2) using 8 processes could do ~300Kconns/s; compared
w/ ~275Kconns/s before the port token splitting work.  The TCP
connect(2)+kqueue(2) is cpu bound on Dfly now (~0% idle time on all
HTs).  Admittedly, I still can't max out 1000M network w/ connect(2)
on my testing hardware (the theoretical TCP connect rate for 1000M
network should be ~335Kconns/s).

However, on the other hand, the TCP accept(2)+kqueue(2) is quite good
w/ SO_REUSEPORT, sink @~335Kconns/s w/ pretty much idle time on each
HT.

Best Regards,
sephe