3.8 release plans

karu.pruun karu.pruun at gmail.com
Tue May 27 01:00:15 PDT 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Sascha Wildner wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2014 05:19:03 +0200, karu.pruun wrote:
>
>> Although this is not in the checklist, I'd like to point out a commit
>> that has not made it into the tree yet
>>
>> http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/2671
>

> I'll look at it.

Just to clarify that an earlier commit

http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/commit/2461cb133c394b4a1aac7d2ce9989ffa14ee6141

remedied the problem that tcpdump did not recognize the pflogd log
file at all. The changes were from FreeBSD; the idea is that when
writing to logfile, the struct pcap_sf_pkthdr should be used and not
pcap_pkthdr. I did not notice that when scanning the logfile, that
same struct, pcap_sf_pkthdr, should be used. In short, both the
previous commit and this commit should have been made at once; both
are from FreeBSD's pflogd.

I did not track down why the earlier version with pcap_pkthdr works in
OpenBSD and not in DragonFly or FreeBSD.

>> Something I noticed at 3.8.0RC: at boot, the kernel complains that it
>> cannot find
>>
>> /boot/kernel/acpi
>> /boot/kernel/ehci
>>
>> and they are not loaded.
>

> On which box is this? Is it an upgraded system. If not, which ISO/IMG was
> used? Any idea when it started?

I have not seen it with 3.6.x on Virtualbox. I did a fresh install
with dfly-x86_64-3.8.0RC.iso.bz2 on Virtualbox this morning, uname -a

DragonFly dflybox 3.8-RELEASE DragonFly v3.8.0rc-RELEASE #12: Sun May
25 23:15:08 PDT 2014
root at pkgbox64.dragonflybsd.org:/usr/obj/build/home/justin/src/sys/X86_64_GENERIC
 x86_64

and noticed the message when booting the installed system from hdd
(the install cd loaded both modules fine). After the kernel loads from
hdd, it says:

--
Unable to load /boot/kernel/acpi
Unable to load /boot/kernel/ehci

and then continues fine. kldstat only shows kernel.

Peeter