Is 'hal' no more a dependency of xorg

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sun May 11 03:37:55 PDT 2014

On 5/11/2014 12:31, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>>> want it.
>>>
>>> Still no idea how it is in dragonfly - i am still FreeBSD user.
>>>

>> We've turned off HAL by default on the ports that allows this
>> possibility.  The xorg-server HAL option has returned but it's off by
>> default, and UDEV option is on by default per recommendation by bapt.
>>
>> John
>>

> how about X dependent programs. i don't use any craps like KDE, gnome
> etc, but when just wanted to compile gnumeric, gimp and few other
> programs i found hal installed as a dependency in FreeBSD
>
> is this dependency removed from other packages too (or is planned)?

Are you asking about HAL or X?
I already answered this question if it's about HAL.

I don't deviate from FreeBSD defaults for fun.  In general we accept
whatever options the ports defines.  We just particularly don't like HAL
on by default so it was removed as a default option where possible.  If
it's still pulled in that's because it is a fixed dependency (it can't
build without it and there's no option to skip it)

We've not done anything similar with "X".

John