LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS 2208

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Mon Mar 31 13:11:56 PDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 01:35:59PM -0400, Predrag Punosevac wrote:

> The server is currently configured as RAID 6 and LSI Logic / Symbios
> Logic MegaRAID SAS 2208. Does anyone have experience with DragonFly
> using above  RAID card?

The MegaRAID SAS 2208 is a LSI chip and not a RAID card:
http://www.lsi.com/products/raid-on-chip/pages/lsi-sas-2208.aspx

I'm not sure which exact card models use it but I've generally have had
good experiences with LSI products and the Dell rebranded variants.

At least some MegaRAID SAS 2208 products are supported by the mps(4)
driver:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=mps&section=ANY

> Obviously I would like to use Hammer. In
> particular has anybody being able to run Mega Storage CLI or graphical
> one for FreeBSD on DragonFly?

These utilities are made available in the form of pre-compiled binaries
for a select few operating systems such as Solaris or RHEL; I'm afraid
you won't be able to run them on DragonFly.

You should be able to use mfiutil(8) instead:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=mfiutil&section=8

It's hard to tell without knowing the exact card model though; your best
bet is probably to boot the machine from a DragonFly CD and check if all
the hardware is properly recognized.
The ISO images are live ones; you can run all required commands from a
regular root shell.

--
Francois Tigeot