mac boot problem

karu.pruun karu.pruun at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 00:48:46 PDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Alex Hornung wrote:

> On 2014-03-26 04:51, karu.pruun wrote:
>
>> I wonder if the problem might be related to the fact that apple uses
>> efi? In any case FreeBSD 10.0 usb img fares slightly better; the BTX
>> loader appears and kernel starts booting. But it stops in the middle
>> of probing devices and gives a hundred error messages saying can't
>> attach a particular usb device and can't find root device; then
>> finally gives up, produces the prompt and hangs.
>>

> Does it drop you into a mountroot> prompt? If so, what does '?' show?

Yes it gives the mountroot prompt but the keyboard (or actually everything)
hangs, so unfortunately cannot give the ? command.

Now, I got hold of a slightly older macbookpro (2009) and succeeded in
installing dfly-x86_64-3.6.1 on it using the cd. Had to wipe macosx and use
the dedicated mode. Had to disable acpi or otherwise the live cd kernel
hangs on boot.

However, booting remains cumbersome. The mac efi bootloader recognizes DFly
slice as a windows partition; fine. DFly then gives the prompt as before

---
F1 DF/FBSD

Default: F1
---

Waits, then the cursor jumps to the next line and everything hangs.

I ended up booting the live cd and then booting the kernel from there from
the prompt; but it's cumbersome. (At prompt lsdev prints disk0s1a etc as
partitions; and then loading kernel from disk0s1a and setting the root
device boots the system.)

I don't know how the booting happens; but might it be that the loader does
not recognize the correct device?

Thanks,

Peeter