live-cd

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sat Mar 29 09:22:40 PDT 2014

On 3/29/2014 17:17, Ludo Beckers wrote:
> I completely understand your point and agree.
>
> To my 'defense' (wrong word really, because I don't feel like your
> comment was meant in a bad way at all) I can say that I simply expected
> a dragonfly.iso working out of the box on a virtual machine.

It will, if you complete the installation.  You obviously either missed
a step or you didn't have the VM set up correctly.

> My intention was of course to take a look at a DragonFly desktop and see
> if I like it.
> Having to know stuff about networks, DHCP and such is beyond my
> pc-knowledge.
> I would of course be willing to learn stuff by myself, from the
> documentation, once I decided DFly is for me.

Well, it's still unix.  There is a basic set of skills that are needed.
 It's a basic chicken-egg problem.  How do you get those skills if you
need them to boot the OS?

Generally there are intro books for that sort of thing, but obviously
not for dragonfly.  A lot of a FreeBSD book would be applicable but not all.

> Tuesday I'm expecting a visit from a friend to help out with some
> hardware issues - he has used DragonFly before, so if he can spare the
> time I'll ask him to help out.
>
> Thanks again everybody for being so helpfull and especially patient :-)

No worries.
The expression "God helps those who help themselves." is very applicable
here. :)

John