LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS 2208

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 10:35:59 PDT 2014

On one my file servers currently running Scientific Linux 6.5 I am
hitting a serious kernel bug. Namely network connections decays and
the file server gets of the network. I have filed the bug report with
RedHat. If you wonder the server has Intel 82574L Dual-Port Gigabit
controller. To make matters worse the file server is of the site
hosting distributed user account of a small group of developers who
typically experience the above as their inability log in into any of
the machines in that particular facility as LDAP hangs due to
unavailability of home directories. The solution is that I have to
drive 50 miles and reboot file server (restarting network just exposes
kernel errors) which might take a long time since the server has 20 TB
of data.

Long story short after I have done this three times in the past and
this morning the decision has been made that SL is going away.

The server is currently configured as RAID 6 and LSI Logic / Symbios
Logic MegaRAID SAS 2208. Does anyone have experience with DragonFly
using above  RAID card? Obviously I would like to use Hammer. In
particular has anybody being able to run Mega Storage CLI or graphical
one for FreeBSD on DragonFly?

Thanks,
Predrag