Authentication with LDAP on DragonFly BSD

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Sat Jun 28 00:56:10 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 11:56:30PM -0400, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> This is not a question but rather a short summary of what I have done to
> enable authentication with LDAP on DragonFly BSD. Before you get too
> excited I will tell you that I didn't manage to work but I feel it is
> very close.
>
> For the purpose of this exercise you will need the following packages
> installed
[...]
> 3.  net/nss_ldap
>
> is needed but it is not in the packages and it is probably the reason I
> can't get it to work.
[...]
> Step 6. Unfortunately it didn't work
>
> backup1# id predrag
> id: predrag: no such user

This is bad. Some nss support library is indeed needed.

I'm using nss-pam-ldapd instead of nss_ldap. The configuration file is a
bit different but it's a far more reliable alternative IMHO.

For some reason, net/nss_ldap fails to build in the packaging environment:
http://muscles.dragonflybsd.org/latest-failures/logs/errors/nss_ldap-1.265_10.log

I have been able to build and install it locally from FreeBSD ports though.
Something weird is going on here.

--
Francois Tigeot