sshguard and hammer

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Fri Jun 27 00:27:29 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:45:49PM -0400, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> I was attempting to use sshguard in the same fashion I do that on
[...]
> It turns out I almost killed server by doing this.
[...]
> That quickly grow to about 1.7 GB in size if I can trust du with HAMMER
> (I learned hard way that it doesn't work with ZFS) but due to the
> frequency of the file changes
>
> backup1# df -h
> /pfs/@@-1:00001   298G    58G   240G    19%    /var
>
> Obviously I have not really used 58G of data. How do I "scrab" and clean
> history and more importantly what would be a good way to prevent this
> kind of disaster? I can leave without sshguard but I am really mortified
> in filling up disk space.

There are various options to avoid or mitigate excessive history retention
on HAMMER filesystems:

* mount them with the nohistory option

* Use chflags(1) to add a nohistory attribute to a few files and/or
  directories

* Reduce default retention periods with hammer viconfig

* Prune history more often by running some variant of hammer cleanup
  on the target filesystem via a cron job for example

--
Francois Tigeot