pf slows down the network

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 23:16:16 PDT 2014

Matthew Dillon <dillon at backplane.com> wrote:

> Make sure your pf.conf has this line.  I should make it the default
> actually.  PF has other issues, basically running under one big lock and
> not being able to take advantage of SMP concurrency, but it should be
> possible to improve performance significantly by using keep-state and also
> by reordering the rules so the ones which get hit the most are earlier in
> the list.
>
> set keep-policy keep state (pickups, sloppy)

Hi Matt,

Thank you so much for your kind input. I added the line. It has not
changed a thing. Essentially enabling PF renders machine useless.

I raised the question earlier about long term plans for PF on DragonFly
in the light of the fact that PF is not really portable and not really
meant to be used outside of OpenBSD (I am primarily OpenBSD user). I am
glad it is on your radar screen but I don't want you to be distracted
from the work on HAMMER2.

Predrag