DragonFly 3.8 released!

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Thu Jun 5 23:54:11 PDT 2014

On 6/6/2014 04:04, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Predrag Punosevac <punosevac72 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Any chance for authentication with LDAP on DragonFly BSD howto?
>
> It's probably the same method as with FreeBSD or NetBSD.  If you get
> it working, please write down what you do.

It's a fair point though.  I brought over a page for dports copied from
FreeBSD manual and then modified it.  We could and probably should do
the same instead of asking users to do it.

>> 2. How do the Jails on DragonFly BSD these days compare to FreeBSD
>> jails. Will Varden of (TrueOS/PCBSD) work on DragonFly?
>
> I don't know.

DF Jails are basically stuck in 2005, or in other words they are about
equal to what FreeBSD had 9 years ago.  Anything specifically developed
fdor jails probably won't work because it surely takes advantage of the
new interfaces and features FreeBSD offers  I put out a GSoC project to
Sync our jails with FreeBSD but nobody bit on it.  It's still something
many of us would welcome somebody try.

>> 3. What is the long term strategy for PF or for that matter any firewall
>> solution on DragonFly having in mind that PF is not really portable
>> peace of software.
>
> I can't answer that because I'm not sure what long term strategy means.

Purely as a guess, I'd the candidates would be support FreeBSD's pfsense
or NetBSD's npf.  I don't know where the latter stands, and both a
probably a tremendous amount of work, but less that updating PF.  This
is another one of those tasks that really needs doing but nobody is
personally interested to do.

>> 4. Any plans with NFSv4?
>
> Nobody is working on it currently that I know of.

I haven't heard of anyone doing it either.

John