porting virtualbox or qemu-kvm

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun Jun 22 01:31:51 PDT 2014

I apologise if this gets grouped poorly...I just subscribed so I could
respond to this...and because I like DragonFly. ;)

Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> are there plans to do this?
>>
>> This is the only reason i did not yet updated all production machines to
>>
>> DFLy and they run FreeBSD-10.
>>
>> I usually need few small VMs to run most often very old software.
>
> KVM is much more useful but acceleration is Linux kernel specific. I
> have not toyed enough with SmartOS to see how KVM works on Solaris
> kernel but as someone who runs upward of 15 productions KVM instances it
> would be very hard to convince me that I should not be using Red Hat as
> a KVM host. You can try :) qemu without kernel acceleration has no value
> IMHO.

http://retis.sssup.it/~fabio/freebsd/lkvm/

Unfortunately, the git tree is gone and it has _NOT_ been maintained in
ages...but it could most definitely function as a starting point.

The debian kFreeBSD people could probably help out, too.  I'm not sure if
they're a larger group or just overlap between FreeBSD and Debian people.

https://github.com/joyent/illumos-kvm seems to be the SmartOS code.  I
wonder if any bits of FreeBSD's OpenSolaris compat (shim? API translator?)
could be reused to provide compatability?

> I think I speak for many people on this list if I say that there is
> nothing that should make me more happy than to see Hummer2 production
> ready. However if somebody has itchy fingers, time on her/his hands,
> and brain power the proper look into the Jail infrastructure would be
> very welcome. There has been lots of progress made on FreeBSD jail
> infrastructure since DragonFly was forked but even vanilla FreeBSD users
> could find things like Warden ported from PCBSD/TrueOS very useful.
> That I would really like to see on DragonFly.

I'd like to see that, too.  Isn't a warden a userspace tool for
jails...similar to say...ezjail?  Are there kernel components to it aside
from actual jail support?

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff