PF changes in master - issues still present

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Jun 27 19:12:39 PDT 2014

    Recently PF was changed to run concurrently on cpus on SMP boxes,
    which should significantly improve its performance.

    There are still a few issues present in the PF changes on master,
    so it may not be suitable for a production server yet.  But I hope
    to get most of them dealt with within a week.

    * Simple block/pass rules should all be operational.  Other rules except
      NAT should theoretically work but are not tested.

    * Currently IPV4 NAT works with TCP but may not with UDP.  It requires
      that PF be able to select from a reasonable range of ports.  Doing
      NAT and forcing a fixed source port on the router will be unreliable.

    * Currently IPV6 NAT should be operational but has not been tested.
      However, it may break as we do additional concurrency work on the
      IPV6 stack concurrency.

    I hope to fix the UDP issues soon.  The IPV6 spec does not officially
    support NAT but we'd like to make it work anyway.

					<dillon at backplane.com>