Image corruption with owncloud + nginx + php-fpm

charles charles at bsd.zplay.eu
Wed Jul 2 11:51:37 PDT 2014

Hi,

I was about to write an article about the deployment of Owncloud on
DragonFly BSD but I found a blocking issue.

For the background, owncloud is a php application which let you upload
files to the server. I use it on fedora, freebsd and openbsd
successfully since a few years.

I'm using DragonFly v3.8.1-RELEASE #16 amd64.

I installed nginx, php and owncloud with "pkg install nginx owncloud",
copied the nginx configuration from one another of my servers,
everything starts correctly, the web app is functional.

The weird thing is that when I upload a file, it may be corrupted. A lot
of files are corrupted once uploaded through the web app. This is easily
visible on jpg files : http://postimg.org/image/4d6x6hlv5/

I tried to install nginx / owncloud / php from ports instead of the
packages, the result is the same. I also tried to change some parameters
in php and nginx, but I can't find anything that could corrupt the
files. nginx-devel doesn't do better.

The issue is fully reproducible inside a virtual machine running 3.8.1
amd64 (didn't try other version).

When using apache22 with mod_php, everything is working as expected.
So I suspect a problem with nginx or a communication problem between php
and nginx ? I tried to use php-fpm with TCP or unix socket and the
result is the same.

If you have any clue, you are welcome ! :)

Kind regards