Anyone using netatalk and afp? I cannot get it running.

Joel Nilsson joel at alikzus.se
Sun Jan 26 07:48:09 PST 2014

I don't know; my problem is with netatalk per se and not the Time Machine feature. The rc script (or netatalk manually started) doesn't start cnid_metad and afpd. I have tried to start them manually but then I ran into other problems related to the database. I spend some hours yesterday tinkering with the configuration and permissions, without success.

I drop this now and go to one of my alternative solutions: Using another (better) program than Apple Time Machine to do backups; that will allow me to use a NFS or SAMBA share instead. Another option would be to buy a Time Capsule but it feels so superfluous when I got a nice DragonFly system already running with a large datapool. :)

/Joel