darner's root timezone changed

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Mon Jan 20 00:36:02 PST 2014

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 07:02:13 +0100, Pierre Abbat
<phma at leaf.dragonflybsd.org> wrote:

> Darner's periodic output has been coming around 5:00 EST instead of
> shortly
> after midnight, which is 5:00 UTC. Here's a listing of the snapshot
> directory
> (minus the symlink arrows, which make it wider than the screen):

Pierre,

the reason is twofold:

1) The timezone wasn't explicitly set on the box (using tzsetup(8) for
example), i.e. there is no /etc/localtime file.

2) In the case when no timezone is set, the whole code will fall back to
the "POSIXRULES" zone, which is (and always was) "America/New_York", or
EST, per
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/blob/HEAD:/share/zoneinfo/Makefile
(saying "POSIXRULES=America/New_York"). But this never really worked,
which seems to have been a bug, until the most recent tzcode upgrade,
after which it finally started working.

Regarding a solution, I think the best way out is to explicitly set the
time zone on this box using tzsetup(8) and choosing UTC there, or any
other zone you prefer.

Alternatively, to restore the previous behavior globally, we could also
set POSIXRULES to UTC in the Makefile, about which I have no opinion.

Sascha