Using github for issues/collaboration

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Thu Feb 20 12:24:39 PST 2014

Am 13.02.2014 17:06, schrieb John Marino:
 > On 2/13/2014 15:48, Michael Neumann wrote:
 >>

 >> Am 13.02.2014 15:26, schrieb Antonio Huete Jimenez:
 >>> Hi Michael,
 >>>
 >>> Honestly I don't see any compelling reasons in your email for us to
 >>> switch to Github. But I'd be interested in knowing what are those
 >>> collaboration barriers you see in Redmine.
 >>
 >> Hm, the visual experience on github is IMHO the main aspect for me.
  And
 >> it's simplicity. You can use markup language to format the issue.
 >
 > Unfortunately it's too simple.
 > The inability to add an attachment is a non-starter.
 > And frankly, the "markdown by default" causes a lot of problems.
 > Everytime somebody pastes in a script with "#" as comments, and don't
 > know to set it as a block of code, it turns into gigantic headlines.
 > Just a PITA.
 >
 > *IF* there was good attachment system and if markdown was "opt-in", then
 > maybe there would be a discussion.

I don't see a big problem with Markdown. As for the attachement system,
yes, it barely does not exist, only for images. To include texts (like
dmesg output) there are two options:

* Upload it to gist and include a link to it in the bug report

* Include the text file content verbatim in ``` ... ``` blocks.

Both of which are not the best solutions. I have asked the guys at
github to add some javascript to the bugtracker that automates that, but
I think they won't implement something like that soon, even so it should
be pretty easy to do.

I think bitbucket.org has an improved bugtracker with all the features
you want, but me personally I haven't used it and I don't know how open
it is. Github is very open in that you can export all information if you
want and also makes migration easier.

Regards,

   Michael