Using github for issues/collaboration

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 12:56:25 PST 2014

On 13 February 2014 05:27, Michael Neumann <mneumann at ntecs.de> wrote:
> github is a very open system

I disagree.  I've contacted them less than a year ago in regards to
their pages being rendered blank in a webservice I've been testing,
due to their overuse of `X-Frame-Options: deny` on what would appear
to be every single page (even on raw.github.com), and although I was
frankly surprised that they actually have human beings looking at the
support requests of mere mortals that are using the service without
any kind of a paid subscription in place, in the end, even though the
issue was escalated to engineering, they simply decided not to
accommodate the request, without much explanation other than an
apparent lack of interest and a business case "at this time".

Whether or not you agree with the usefulness of `X-Frame-Options:
deny` by default on every single page, you cannot argue against having
no say on such issues when they do arise, which is what would be the
case if DragonFly officially moves onto GitHub.

Besides, in my own actual use of their issue tracking system, I was
quite surprised of how such a featureless system could really be found
all that useful as a replacement to the more advanced bug tracking
systems.

GitHub's issue tracking data is not even stored in a git repository,
is it?  People are allowed to edit their issue reports and comments,
yet there is no account of what changes are made; did GitHub seriously
just designed it like that?  No IPv6 support, either -- sitewide, in
2014!

The only benefit I see with GitHub is that many people probably
already have an account, so there's no need to keep track of a
different one for DragonFly bugs, but then this issue might as well be
solved through some kind of an OpenID integration, if that's deemed an
important issue that's stopping people from commenting on the bugs.

Cheers,
Constantine.SU.