progress on mini-roadmap

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Fri Feb 14 01:39:19 PST 2014

On 2/14/2014 10:27, Sascha Wildner wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:03:40 +0100, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st>
> wrote:
>
>> Problem 2: The bugs.dragonflybsd.org is not properly monitored.  "Real"
>> bug PR gets opened and nobody responds to them, probably because they
>> don't even know about them.  Redmine simply isn't in the forefront
>
> It is your assumption (and not more) that no response means no one looks
> at it. There are in fact more reasons than just "no one cares" which
> lead to no one responding to an issue. Which? Just think about why _you_
> don't respond to every issue on bugs at . You'll see the same phenomenon in
> other projects too, even where it's "properly monitored".

It is not an assumption.  I have repeatedly told people about PRs on
Redmine that they weren't aware of, but could or even should have been.
 I didn't say nobody cares (that is putting words in my mouth), I said
it wasn't effectively monitored and I firmly stand by that assessment on
more than assumptions and feelings.

And I disagree that properly monitored projects leave no response to a
PR as acceptable.  By my definition, no response means it's not
monitored.  Somebody need to triage, assign, and that person needs to
analyze and disposition.  None of that is going on, we *SUCK* at PR
management.  Other projects suck too.  For example. the FreeBSD ports
PRs aren't properly monitored -- it only sort of works because of
robotic triage.

>> Problem 4: A common problem with all the free projects, not following up
>> on "bugs" but leaving them to rot for years and years.  Many open bugs
>> are obsolete or solved, but the report is still open.  However, the
>> prevailing thought is just leave them alone.
>
> No, the prevailing thought is to leave bugs open which might still be
> present (and thus not confirmedly solved or obsolete), and not just
> close them by age. If you know a bug that is obsolete or solved, feel
> free to close it.

I did that for a while, got flak for it, got overwhelmed by it, and got
beaten down by it.  I'm not going to try to maintain a system where
everyone else disagrees how it should be maintained (or rather agrees it
should not be maintained).  You win - you use redmine, I'm washing my
hands of the whole thing.

John