Using github for issues/collaboration

Antonio Huete Jimenez ahuete.devel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 07:12:17 PST 2014

> Am 13.02.2014 15:26, schrieb Antonio Huete Jimenez:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Honestly I don't see any compelling reasons in your email for us to
>> switch to Github. But I'd be interested in knowing what are those
>> collaboration barriers you see in Redmine.
>
> Hm, the visual experience on github is IMHO the main aspect for me.  And
> it's simplicity. You can use markup language to format the issue.  Also
> the integration with the repository, for example, you can just click to
> see the related commit that fixes the issue in the github web interface
> (we'd still have our own git repository of course!).

Redmine also has Markup for formatting but we can't use it because
some people's using tabs on their emails and that screws up
formatting.
Also, it's easy to reference specific commits in the tickets since we
keep track of our Repository in redmine, too.

> I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I somehow feel a resistance to
> submit a bug report on redmine.

That's understandable, as the tickets tend to rot in the tracker
without any feedback.

>> We could say that many other projects are sucessfully using Redmine
>> for their issue tracking too.
>
> Definitively.
>

>> Anyways, I have to agree with someone who's wiser than me in that
>> "Changing bug tracking system is not going to solve the tickets
>> themselves". So from my point of view there are other areas that would
>> need much more love than tracker itself :-)
>
> My point is not just bug reports, but especially feature discussions.
> Right now they are mostly lost in mailing lists or in the wiki. For
> example, I want to propose some GSoC projects. But the wiki is just not
> the right place for it, as it needs further discussion.

Our Wiki is open for collaboration, anyone can register and create a new page.

> Just take a look at the rust issues, it's a good place to see the git
> issues system in use:
>
>   https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues

Beautiful :-)

> Regards,