DF enterprise deployments

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 13:20:40 PST 2014

Predrag Punosevac wrote:

> I am reading http://www.dragonflybsd.org/hammerscript/ and I see that
> according to semi-official documentation DF and HAMMER in particular are
> somewhat suitable for large enterprise deployments. This is a half
> question half my wish list based upon my limited experience in deploying
> DragonFly in low-end datacenter.

I am going to answer this one myself in order to create electronic trace
for people who are looking for the answers. The good place to start your
search is Justin's blog

http://www.dragonflydigest.com/

> Is there anybody who is looking at the sensoring framework on DF at the
> moment? In particular I am interested in something along the lines of
> OpenBSD stellar native sensorsd daemon. FreeBSD which shares the same
> heritage has some semi-finished native sensoring framework but IPMI
> seems to work rather well (at least for such a buggy peace of software)
> comparing to my less than optimal experience on DF.

Sascha Wildner has committed an IPMI driver port

http://www.dragonflydigest.com/2014/12/15/15262.html

I could not find any info on possible native sensoring framework.

> What is the current status of native bsnmp daemon on DF? I tried using
> net-snmp from DPorts and it worked but with lots of rough edges. Any
> pointers to HAMMER specific MIBs either for native bsdmp or net-snmp.

I could not find any info on this one either.

> Finally I am really curious if anybody is using Jails on DF and how does
> Jail infrastructure compares to the current FreeBSD implementation. Is
> it possible to create a tool like Warden or cbsd for Jails on DF?

The DragonFly jails were updated from FreeBSD-4.8 capability to FreeBSD
5.1 capability in 2005. DragonFly is currently soliciting students for
Google Summer of Code 2015 project to update Jails to the FreeBSD
version of 9.xxx.

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/developer/gsocprojectspage/

Which would be great. Related to this news apparently there is another
proposal to port Bhyve from FreeBSD. In my experience Bhyve is not
production ready in FreeBSD as of yet.

Predrag