swap_pager indefinite wait buffer - question - SOLVED

PeerCorps Trust Fund ipc at peercorpstrust.org
Fri Dec 26 23:35:17 PST 2014

Hi!

Thanks for the below. This is all extremely helpful and I agree with it entirely.

The main limitation in this case, for now at least, is that we are mainly dependent on donated computer equipment from individual donors. We try to use everything as much as possible (hence the constant search for an OS that can make the most of slightly older equipment).

We might get a Thinkpad x200 for example (which comes with a 250 Gb HD or so), and have on hand around 2 terabytes of recorded secondary school lectures and e-books to load on it. In the one case mentioned previously, the internal HDD was swapped out in favor of an SSD. A WD Passport 2TB drive is connected to it. Dragonfly is installed on the SSD with half of it (50 gigabytes) being used for swap. This appears to be working, but once we get a few more workstations connected to it we will see how far we can push it! Probably the simultaneous connections will show a lag, but we are hoping that swapcache might make a difference there.