VM, resolving names

Christoph Harder shadowomf at arcor.de
Tue Aug 5 11:06:40 PDT 2014

Good evening everybody,

I did wanted to test drive Dragonfly BSD a bit, but I'm somehow stuck.

I create a virtual machine with VMware and installed Dragonfly but I can't get networking to work properly.
The adapter seems to work fine, I can ping various IP's. However when I try to ping a host by name it doesn't work.

In the resolv.conf I did enter the following lines:
nameserver 192.168.178.1
nameserver 217.237.262.51
nameserver 217.237.149.205
Whereas the former one is my router (Fritz!Box 7362 SL) and the later ones are the name servers of my provider (if I'm not totally mistaken).

In the rc.conf I did enter the following network settings:
hostname="dragonfly"    (I'm a creative genius)
ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.178.202 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.178.1"

The network is set to bridged mode in the VM settings and my router does list the VM as new device.

Now my router is set to dual stack mode (IPv4/IPv6). At the moment I'm using static IP's for IPv4 and dynamic ones (DHCP) for IPv6.
In the beginning (after installation) there was a line ifconfig_em0="DHCP" but it didn't work for me (I know horrible error description), so I did switch to the static address.

Now this isn't a high priority, but it would be great if you have any hints to where my mistake might be or what I could have probably forgotten.

Best regards,
Christoph Harder