running reliable services

Pierre Abbat phma at leaf.dragonflybsd.org
Tue Apr 1 19:10:32 PDT 2014

I'm planning to start a rural wireless ISP. I'm going to offer webhosting and
email and other services, and I've picked out a motherboard for most of the
servers (8 core Atom, up to 64 GB RAM, 6 SATA, 4 Ethernet). If a disk drive
fails, I'd like to make sure no data get lost. Should I mirror-stream it to
another drive, or rsync it to another computer, or both? What about giving
users access to snapshots in case they mess something up?

If anyone here has done anything similar, please let me know. I probably want
to talk with you off list.

Pierre
--
Jews use a lunisolar calendar; Muslims use a solely lunar calendar.