kdm in a loop

Ludo Beckers lazylew at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 08:19:03 PDT 2014

After installing xorg I installed KDE 4.12.3_1
In rc.conf I added, as was suggested after install was complete, this line:
kdm4_enable="YES"

Now login shows kdm but I get this error:
Warning: Cannot open ConsoleKit session: Unable to open session: Failed to
connect to socket /var/run/dbus/syste(unreadable here because the window
goes past the monitors' edge)
I press OK and get another message:
Can you call qdbus? I press okay and am back at the kdm login - this loops
in other words.

Then I spent hours trying to find similar errors in divers fora.
I ended up succesfully logging in to fail safe mode now, but if I want to
take out the kdm-line from rc.conf I don't have permission.
su root simply says "sorry" and in vi :wq! doesn't do it either.

This looks like worth a try:
Logging into an alternate DE, running *sudo chown -R username .dbus* and
then rebooting (don't just logout, that consistently locked my machine up)
should fix the problem.
(taken from http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=19353)
but sudo is a command not found where I am now (fail safe mode).

Another suggestion is to install some Qt packages
https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4319 but again I guess I need
to be root for that.

KDE-forum talks about Qt also but the solution this user took is a drastic
reinstall http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=99228

Has anyone had this happen too?