Opinions on SMF

Petr Janda elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Tue Sep 10 01:43:31 PDT 2013

> So sure rcNG looses some process, does not understand parallel jobs,
> spend time to fork, sleep, grep and so on, but it provides shell
> conventions and tools to write proper startup scripts in any
> situations and avoid the need to reinvent the wheel each time you have
> a non standard case. It's not an ideal solution, but it has the main
> feature - expressiveness -  and SMF not.
>
> An other time sorry if you had feel me flaming. Hop my post should help.

Have a look at the manifests, vast majority of them don't need shell
scripting.

In fact I find majority of the manifests self explanatory.

Because SMF builds a full dependency graph, using the commands it's easy
to see what depends on what.

If an application/service in the middle of the dependency tree stops
working, it has to be able to control every other app that depends on it.

Like John said, the most important thing is service management. SMF does
it well.

As for launchd, just because it's loosely related to BSD, doesn't make
it good. Imho, as open source developers, we should focus on what works
best, instead of the politics of different licenses.

--
Please use PGP to encrypt your email to ensure our privacy is respected.